Saturday 4 February 2017

Pearl Butterfy - Lesson 1 completed

Everything looks rather easy at the moment. I'm waiting for next lesson (to be uploaded on February 10th). Butterfly at the moment looks like this:


Steps to complete:

1. Trace the design.
2. Cut wing shapes from felt:



For those striving for perfect symmetry - cutting should be performed very carefully. Felt and perfectly sharp end of wings does not work so good together.

3. Apply both layers of felt padding:



 4. Unpack first golwork thread. Well, if everybody calls this wire "thread", I'll call it also :)






5. Do the pearl purl edging, slowly passing thread around every 3 coils.
It appeared that wings are too sharp and too tiny in a few places - two coils barely fit. Well, it will be OK as for my first goldwork piece (to correct this I would need to re-cut and re-apply upper felt layer; won't do this :))

Time to complete:
- Preparing the pattern and felt padding: 2 hours 45 min.
- Edging: 2 hours 30 min.

Thing I don't like most: waxing the thread and removing excess wax. I've thought that waxing is needed only for natural threads (like linen etc.). Well, if theacher tells to wax polyerter, she must know something about it, so I'll do this. Still - I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment